How the holidays impact your daily dental health
Wondering if the holiday season may affect your oral health? In this blog from Regent Avenue Dental Centre, we’ll take a look at the effects of the holidays on your daily dental health, and provide some tips to help you keep your dental routine on track!
The holidays are a time of family, festivities, tasty treats, but don’t forget about your daily dental health routines!
Over the holidays, many people break from their regular routines. You’re on vacation and surrounded by tasty treats like eggnog, cakes, pies, cookies, alcoholic beverages like beer, wine, and cocktails, and more.
But sugar, starch, and alcohol can wreak havoc on your oral health, and lead to a higher risk of cavities and gum disease. So what can you do? Find out.
Tips for preventing dental health issues over the holidays
Not sure how you can keep your mouth healthy during the winter holidays? Here are a few tips from Regent Avenue Dental Centre.
- Indulge in sugary foods with moderation
- Eat sugary snacks and treats after meals. Saliva production increases during meals, which helps rinse away sugar. This can also help you reduce your overall consumption of sugary treats
- Drink a glass of water after eating to rinse your mouth. This also helps you feel more full
- Limit sugary drinks and alcohol and rinse with water or brush your teeth after drinking them
- Continue your normal dental routine and brush twice a day for two minutes, and consider brushing three times a day during the holidays, especially if you’re eating additional times throughout the day
- Floss your teeth once at least once daily to remove debris that can’t be eliminated with brushing alone
- Add antibacterial mouthwash into your dental routine to wash away food particles and bacteria in between flossing and brushings
With these helpful tips, you’ll be able to enjoy your favourite treats – without fear of cavities or gum disease. For more info, consult with your dentist at Regent Avenue Dental Centre.
Prepare for the holidays with teeth cleaning at Regent Dental!
Schedule your teeth cleaning appointment after the holidays from our Winnipeg dental team to ensure that your mouth is healthy and cavity-free. With 2021 upon, make sure your health is a priority – and that includes your dental health. Contact Regent Avenue Dental Centre today to schedule a teeth cleaning and oral exam today!